Mobile World Congress is the biggest mobile event, and that is where most of the smartphone innovations are showcased every year, around February and March. While the Consumer Electronics Show 2015 had not much revolving around mobiles (except for a few launches, as the major focus was on wearables), MWC 2015 is dedicated towards the same, and thus, several launches including the flagships.
Last year, the Mobile World Congress event had seen the launch of Samsung Galaxy S5, Sony Xperia Z2, LG G Pro 2, LG G2 Mini and even the entry of Nokia into Android smartphone market with the Nokia X series. Several leaks have already raised the bars high for this year’s event at Barcelona, and we, as usual, are going to attend the MWC 2015 event.
Announcements / Showcase at MWC 2015
- Acer Liquid Z220 & Z520: Budget smartphones from Acer with Android Lollipop, 4-inch display and other basic specs.
- Acer Liquid M220: A low-end Windows Phone smartphone with Windows Phone 8, upgradeable to Win 10.
- Acer Liquid Jade Z: A 64-bit Mediatek powered smartphone with LTE capability, 13MP camera and an HD 5-inch display.
- Acer LiquidLeap+ smartband with an OLED touchscreen, waterproofing is announced at the MWC 2015.
- ZTE Grand S3: Priced at $480, the device will have EyePrint ID biometric solution for unlocking the phone.
- Microsoft Lumia 640 & Lumia 640 XL: These are the two new budget devices from Microsoft.
- Huawei Mediapad X2: A 7-inch (1920×1200 pixels) tablet with calling functionality, Android Lollipop and Octa-core processor.
- Huawei Watch: Huawei’s first Android Wear smartwatch with a 1.4-inch AMOLED touchscreen display.
- Gionee Elife S7: The 5.5-inch smartphone from Gionee is leaked, and we got some exclusive photos already from the event place.
Events at MWC 2015
- Acer is expected to come up with two smartphones and a smartwatch at the event, and they have a teaser for that, and no leaks / rumors around it so far.
- Huawei is holding a press conference at 3 p.m. (Barcelona time) where the Ascend P8 is expected.
- HTC is going to announce the HTC One M9, and the press conference is at 4 p.m. (Barcelona time).
- Samsung is about to announce the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge on the same day, with its Unpacked event scheduled at 6:30 p.m. (Barcelona time)
- Microsoft is holding a conference, probably on 2nd March, where they are expected to announce the Lumia 635.
- Sony is going to unveil the Xperia Z4 Tablet and Xperia M4 Aqua, both leaked with full images shown.
- Meizu is showcasing the MX4 with Ubuntu Touch OS.
Here’s what to expect from MWC 2015:
There are huge expectations from Samsung, after being heavily criticized for the Galaxy S5. Several leaks already claim different stories, some talking about a full metal construction, while some say it could be a copy of iPhone 6. It’s still not more than just unofficial claims, so stay tuned for the official announcement from Samsung, that is going to happen on March 1st at the Unpacked event.
Just like Note 4 had a special variant in Note Edge, the Galaxy S6 isn’t coming alone. We have heard enough rumors about the device and now some leaks have already come up, showing a 5.1-inch 4K display with edges on both the sides.
Several specs of the next Pro series device from Lenovo, have been leaked. This time, we are expecting to see a 5.5-inch QHD display and not the 6-inch one, but the specs are going to be top-notch, just like the predecessor came with.
HTC indeed has sent out a teaser, indicating that a new smartphone is coming at the MWC 2015. If its the One M9, then we are seeing some similar build like the one on M8, and it is the internal hardware that will come with several changes.
The device was expected to go official during the Mobile World Congress, but to much surprise, it was already announced in Taiwan. The Desire 626 is powered by Snapdragon 410 processor and it supports 4G LTE connectivity. We expect HTC to have this device showcased at their MWC booth.
Sony won’t be coming up with the flagship device at MWC 2015, and thus we expect some mid-range device announcement from the company. One of those already revealed through an online retailer, is the Sony Xperia E1 II, which seems to be an entry level device.
A lot of other exciting announcements of not just smartphones, but also the wearables and accessories are expected to be seen at the Mobile World Congress, this year. Stay tuned for more updates from PhoneRadar.