It is Official Now! Android M which has been previewed a few months back is now officially called as Marshmallow & its available to Install for all the nexus devices. The steps mentioned below are compatible if you own the Nexus 5 (GSM/LTE) “hammerhead”, Nexus 6 “shamu”, Nexus 9 “volantis” or Nexus Player “fugu”. You just need to right factory image and install the marshmallow easily on your device.
Note: We want to first warn you that post this update all the data on your Nexus device may get erased & its recommended to take a Complete backup of the same. You can check out some of the backup applications on the Play Store & perform the backup before proceeding.
Watch this Video Tutorial :
- You need to download the respective Factory Image from the links mentioned below.
- Download ADB Tools & Driver
Unlock Bootloader :
This is a very Important step and you need to perform it carefully. Go through the following step by step & if it fails repeat the same.
- Switch off your Nexus 5 Phone
- Long Press & Hold the Volume Down + Power Button to Enter the FastBoot Menu.
- Now Connect your Phone with your Computer through the Micro USB Cable.
- Under the adb-tools folder, you need to hold the shift key on your keyword & right click & select the option of “Open Command Window Here” following which the Cmd Prompt window would show up.
- Next Enter “fastboot oem unlock” on the command window.
- You would be asked to confirm which you can perform by pressing the Volume Up Key followed by the Power Button.
Do Note that once the Bootloader is unlocked all your data will be lost and you are ready for the next step.
Installing Factory Image :
The next step would be Installing the Image you had downloaded earlier. You need to first extract every single file from the package and place everything in the same folder as the adb tools. Next follow these steps.
- Start the device in fastboot mode by Long Pressing the Volume Down + Power Button simultaneously.
- Once in it, you need to double click on the flash-all.bat file which runs a batch process.
- Your Nexus would automatically reboot following this & take you to the welcome page.
Here are some of the screenshots from our Nexus 5 on which we just Installed the last Android 6.0 Marshmallow which comes with some amazing new features like App Permissions, Do not disturb, Faster Experience etc.
If the above last mentioned step fails you will have to manually complete this procedure, which is about fixing the fastboot errors like “archive does not contain ‘boot.sig'”, “archive does not contain ‘boot.sig'”. Read the steps mentioned below which have to be performed after you are in fastboot mode.
- fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- fastboot flash boot boot.img
- fastboot flash cache cache.img
- fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
- fastboot flash system system.img
- fastboot reboot
Let us know in the comments section below if you have any queries on how to install the Marshmallow Android version on your Nexus device if the steps mentioned above are not helpful to you.