Here is the latest PhoneRadar weekly wrap up with all the latest happenings around the smartphones and mobile technology. We have seen a few flagship launches in the last seven days, and couple more will be launching in the coming week. Since most of the major manufacturers unveiled their latest flagship devices, the leaks are now revealing the information about their next big launches. In case if you are interested to know more about the upcoming launches, check out our list of upcoming smartphones of July 2017.
Let’s take a look at the news from this week:
- Sony has already released the Android 7.1.1 Nougat update for few of its premium devices. Now, the Xperia X and Xperia X Compact which got the Android 7.0 Nougat update in December last year are now receiving the latest Android 7.1.1 Nougat update along with Android security patch update for the month of June. While there is clear information about the global roll out, the new update comes with build number 34.3.A.0.194. With the latest Android update, the device will receive the new circular app icons, new emojis, and few other latest features. A few weeks back, Google released the Android O beta 3 for the Pixel, Pixel XL, and few Nexus devices. While the Android O will see the public release in the next few months, we hope Sony released the Android O update for both the Xperia X and Xperia X Compact smartphones.
- While the Motorola recently released the Moto C Plus in the India for Rs. 6,999, now the company is teasing the launch of the Moto E4 Plus. The Moto E4 Plus comes with entry-level specifications like a 5.5-inch HD display, Snapdragon 435 SoC, 2GB RAM, and 13MP rear camera. However, the USP of the device is its 5,000mAh battery that should easily last more than a day of usage. The Moto C Plus features a polycarbonate shell and runs on Android 7.0 Nougat out of the box. It sports a 5-inch HD display and is powered by MediaTek MT6737 quad-core processor. On the camera front, there is an 8MP rear camera and a 2MP front camera. Both the cameras come accompanied with LED flash for capturing photos even in low light conditions. It is backed by a 4,000mAh battery that is mentioned to give 30 hours of usage. The device offers dual SIM dual standby support with 4G VoLTE connectivity.
- After launching the Honor 8 and Honor 8 Smart, the company is bringing the Honor 8 Pro to the Indian market. It was first launched in China as Honor V9 and was later introduced in Europe as Honor 8 Pro. Compared to Honor 8, the Honor 8 Pro comes with even powerful specifications and mainly the glass back body is replaced with an all-metal unibody design. The 2.5D 5.7-inch display on the front comes with Quad HD (2560 x 1440 pixels) resolution. It is powered by Kirin 960 octa-core processor clocked at 2.4GHz and comes coupled with 6GB of RAM. There is 128GB of onboard storage that can be further expanded up to another 128GB. The dual camera setup on this device features a 12MP RGB sensor and another 12MP Monochrome sensor.There is also an 8MP front-facing camera for selfies. The fingerprint is placed on the rear of the device.
- A couple of days after the global launch of the OnePlus 5, OnePlus brought its latest flagship to the Indian market via Amazon.in. The 6GB of RAM variant is priced at Rs. 32,999 and comes in Slate Grey color, whereas the high-end variant with 8GB of RAM costs Rs. 37,999 and will be available in Midnight Black color. Compared to OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T, the major improvements can be seen in the camera department. The new OnePlus 5 houses a 20MP Monochrome sensor and 16MP RGB sensor on the rear. It offers 2X lossless zoom and sports EIS instead of much better OIS. There is also a 16MP sensor on the front of the device. The 5.5-inch Optic AMOLED display still comes with Full HD resolution and packs the Snapdragon 835 octa-core processor. It is backed by a 3,300mAh non-removable battery that also supports in-house Dash Charge fast charging technology.
- HTC U11 is now officially launched in India, and it costs Rs. 51,990. It comes with a new feature called Edge Sense where we can interact with the device by just squeezing the sides. As seen with the HTC 11, the new HTC U11 also comes with the super glossy finish and will be available in Amazing Silver and Brilliant Black color options. It sports a 5.5-inch Quad HD (2560 x 1460 pixels) Super LCD 5 display with Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection on top. Under the hood is the Snapdragon 835 SoC coupled with 6GB of RAM and 128GB of internal storage. With the IP67 certification, the device is also water and dust resistant. Talking about the cameras, it features a 12MP rear camera with f/1.7 aperture, OIS, and dual-tone LED flash. There is also a 16MP selfie camera on the front. It is kept powered on by a 3,000mAh battery that is mentioned to give more than a day long talk time. Interestingly, the device still comes with QuickCharge 3.0 while Qualcomm unveiled the improved QuickCharge 4.0.
- While the OnePlus 5 is the first 8GB RAM smartphone to launch here in India, soon we might also see the launch of another 8GB RAM smartphone, Asus Zenfone AR. Asus unveiled the Zenfone AR, its first ever Tango phone at the CES 2017 held in Las Vegas in early January. It sports a 5.7-inch AMOELD display with Quad HD resolution and is powered by Snapdragon 821 quad-core processor. It packs 256GB of onboard storage that can be further expandable up to additional 128GB via MicroSD card slot. The 23MP rear camera sensor comes with TriTech+ autofocus, 2nd gen Laser Focus, and dual-PDAF. Apart from the main sensor, there are sensors on the rear for motion tracking and depth sensing. It is also compatible with the Google’s Daydream VR. The device runs on Android 7.0 Nougat and is backed by a 3,300mAh non-removable battery.