Amazon has issued an emergency warning for the Kindle e-readers stating that, the users need to update their Kindle with the latest update by March 22nd, 2016. This emergency update is needed for all the pre-2013 Kindles including original Kindle Paperweight (2012). If the users fail to update it by deadline, then the devices get locked out from the internet and the users wouldn’t able to download any e-books further.
All the users who doesn’t update the device within time will get the following message while trying to connect the device to internet.
Your Kindle is unable to connect at this time. Please make sure you are within wireless range and try again. If the problem persists, please restart your Kindle from the Menu in Settings and try again.
How to update Kindle E-reader via WiFi
- Turn on your Kindle and tap on menu icon.
- Now, choose ‘Sync and Check for items’.
- Next, the software update will download and install automatically provided that you keep the WiFi ON. Also, plug-in the Kindle as it may take long time to complete the process.
How to update Kindle E-Reader via 2G/3G
For Kindle 1st Generation devices –
- Turn on the Kindle and enable the wireless switch to ON positon.
- Now, go to home-screen and tap on menu.
- Next, go for ‘Check for New Items’ and that’s all.
- Make sure to plug in the Kindle and enable data connection, and this may take a long time to get updated.
For Kindle/Kindle DX 2nd Generation devices –
- Turn on the Kindle and go to home screen.
- Now, tap on menu and enable the ‘Turn Wireless On’.
- Again go back to menu and select ‘Sync & Check for items’.
- Make sure to enable the data connection and also plug in your Kindle as this update takes long time to get upgraded.
That’s all; now your Kindle is successfully updated with the latest software. During the updation process, the Kindle will restart several times. Once the update is finished, the users will get notified with a confirmation letter with the title ‘03-2016 Successful Update’. Sort the items by ‘Recent’ in the Kindle library to find the letter.
Here are the list of devices which needs immediate software update
- Kindle 1st Generation (2007)
- Kindle 2nd Generation (2009)
- Kindle DX 2nd Generation (2009)
- Kindle Keyboard 3rd Generation (2010)
- Kindle 4th Generation (2011)
- Kindle 5th Generation (2012)
- Kindle Touch 4th Generation (2011)
- Kindle Paperwhite 5th Generation (2012)
Use 2G/3G for the first three devices and use WiFi for the next 5 Kindle devices.
If the Kindle is not update by March 22nd, then all the users need to update the device manually by downloading the update file from the Amazon official website. Then, you need to transfer the file to the Kindle using USB cable.
So, we advise all the Kindle E-Readers to update the device immediately so as to get uninterrupted from the internet service.