Samsung had officially unveiled the Galaxy S7 & Galaxy S7 Edge at the MWC 2016 and last week the devices are launched in the Indian market. While the company mentioned the devices to come with 32GB and 64GB storage variants, till date only the 32GB variant of the Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge are made available. As of now, there is no information when the company will bring the 64GB variants to the market. Not many users are bothered about it because the company has included the MicroSD card slot for storage expansion.
With the Android 6.0 Marshmallow, Google has brought a new feature called ‘Adoptable Storage’ where you can use the external MicroSD Card as a part of internal storage. The Galaxy S7 Edge comes with a MicroSD card slot and runs on the Android 6.0 Marshmallow based TouchWiz UI, but Samsung hasn’t provided the option to club both the external and internal storages. The 32GB variant of the Galaxy S7 Edge comes with only 24GB available to the users. The rest 8GB of storage is occupied by the TouchWiz UI and pre-installed apps from Samsung, Google, and Microsoft.
Samsung’s TouchWiz UI has allowed moving the apps to SD card and with the Android 6.0 Marshmallow, Google brought this feature to all the Android powered devices. Since there is only 24GB of storage available to the user out-of-the-box and the devices also miss the Adoptable Storage options, one way to free up the storage is by moving the apps to SD card. Apart from the System apps, all other apps downloaded from the PlayStore can be moved to the SD card.
How to Move Apps to SD Card on Galaxy S7 Edge & S7:
- Open Settings > Storage > Used Space and then tap on the Apps to select the specific application.
- Now Select and Tap on the specific you want to move to SD card.
- Once the app settings are opened, you can find the storage used will be mentioned as ‘Internal Storage’ or else it shows SD Card when the app is installed on SD card.
- Just below the mentioned storage type, you find the Change button. Tap on that to change the storage.
- The Exporting page will be shown on the screen and Tap on the Move option at the bottom of the screen.
- Now the selected app along with its data will be transferred from internal storage to SD Card storage.
- In the same way, you can change the storage of an app from SD card to internal storage by tapping on the Change button below the mentioned storage.
- Once the app is installed on SD card, the app will not be available when that MicroSD card is removed.
To find the available internal storage on Galaxy S7 Edge & S7, open the Settings and then scroll down till you find the Storage option. Now tap on the Storage and the available storage will be around 24GB (out-of-the-box) where the other 8GB will be taken up by the TouchWiz OS and pre-installed apps.
Note: With the further updates the available storage might increase or decrease.