How to Install Android 8.0 Oreo based Oxygen OS (Public Beta) on OnePlus 3/3t
Back in June 2016, OnePlus launched the OnePlus 3 flagship smartphone with 6GB of RAM. It came with Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow based Oxygen OS out of the box. Just 5 months after the launch of OnePlus 3, OnePlus came with an upgraded variant called OnePlus 3T with a couple of upgrades. Earlier this year, the company upgraded both the OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3t to Android 7.0 Nougat with Oxygen OS 4.0. Now, OnePlus has released the Oxygen OS 4.5 public beta for OnePlus 3/3t smartphones which also brings the latest Android 8.0 Oreo and September security patch update.
Before jumping to the latest Android version, be aware that its still not the stable OS and might not work well with all the apps. Follow the below steps to upgrade your Android 7.0 Nougat powered OnePlus 3/3t smartphone to the latest Android 8.0 Oreo. There is no need to root your smartphone for updating the OS, but the device has to be unlocked. While you can sideload the new OS through ADB on Mac or Windows laptop, we can also do it directly on the smartphone itself.
First, you have to download the latest OxygenOS file (OnePlus 3 – Open Beta 25 | OnePlus 3t – Open Beta 16) file onto your smartphone. OnePlus has permanently removed the stock Gallery app with this update. Instead, the device will be using the Google Photos app which also offers unlimited cloud storage for photos and videos in high quality (not original quality). The company also mentioned a few known issues that will be fixed in the coming updates.
Here is the official changelog of Android 8.0 Oreo-based Oxygen OS Open Beta:
- Update to Android 8.0 Oreo
- Updated security patch to September
- Added Picture in Picture
- Added Auto-fill
- Added Smart text selection
- New Quick Settings design
- Added notification dots in the launcher
Remember that you are upgrading to the public beta at your own risk. Before continuing further, fully charge your device and also take the complete backup.
Follow the below steps to install the latest Android 8.0 Oreo update on your OnePlus 3/3t smartphone:
- Switch off your device and Power it on by holding volume down button.
- Press any volume button for more options or wait for few seconds.
- Navigate to Recovery using the volume buttons and press button power button or simply tap on Recovery.
- Since the stock recovery mode supports touch, tap on English to select.
- Here, you will see the option to install from internal storage, tap on it.
- Select the folder where the downloaded file is saved (mostly it will be in the Download folder).
- Tap on Oxygen OS file and confirm the install package option by selecting yes.
- The update installation process will take 5-10 mins.
- Once the installation is completed, reboot the device.
- The first reboot will take some time, dont worry.
Check your device settings to confirm it running on the latest firmware with new features. If there are any more questions, let us know by commenting below or tweet us at @phoneradarblog.