While announcing the latest iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, the company had showcased few new features of the latest devices. The ‘Retina Flash’ is one such feature that Apple had announced at the launch event, this works same as the front-facing flash but instead of an LED flash, it uses the display brightness for light. Though this is feature is already available on several Android devices, and the SnapChat app also uses the same technology for capturing selfies in low-light conditions.
But the Retina Flash on iPhone 6s and 6s Plus is powered by an all new display chip, it makes the display three times brighter than the normal usage. The FaceTime camera on the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus has been upgraded from 1.2MP to 5MP that can now record videos in 1080p resolution. Talking about the Retina Flash, this new feature is limited to the latest iPhone’s leaving the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, and other older models even after upgraded to the latest iOS 9.
Now, we share some information that makes your iPhone (from iPhone 6 to iPhone 4s) to capture better Selfies than ever. For Jailbreak devices, the Retina Flash works same as on the iPhone 6s and 6s plus that will be integrated into the stock Camera app. But for those whose iPhone is not jailbreak, there is an app that gives the basic functionality of capturing selfies by brightening the screen.
Retina Flash on non-Jailbreak iPhones:
- Open the App Store and search for an App called “Take Selfies FREE.”
- Tap on GET button beside the app title to install it.
- Once it is installed, Open the app and gives the permission to access ‘Camera’ and ‘Microphone.’
- Tap anywhere on the screen to capture a Selfie
- It also has an option on the top right side to activate the 3 seconds timer to capture.
- After capturing the image, it shows the preview of the image.
- Below the preview you can find two options – Share & Delete.
Though it can capture better images in the dark, there is no option of capturing the LivePhotos by using the Retina Flash (Get Live Photos on Any iPhone). But if you are looking for the same user interface as of iPhone 6s, then you need to jailbreak your device to get the same functionalities that also include capturing LivePhotos through front camera using Retina Flash.
Retina Flash on Jailbreak iPhones:
By using a Cydia Tweak, anyone who has a jailbroken iPhone can get the same Retina Flash in the Camera app. While it can flash out the maximum brightness of the display, it cannot turn the flash color based on the indoor condition that is only possible by the separate hardware components present in the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus.
Unlike a separate app for this new features, with a Cydia tweak the Retina Flash feature can be integrated into your stock Camera app. Follow the below steps to successfully get the Retina Flash on your iPhone.
- Open Cydia app on the home screen and tap on the Search from the bottom dock.
- Now type FrontFlash on the search bar and open the tweak.
- Install the ‘FrontFlash’ tweak by tapping on the install button on the top right side.
- Now open ‘Settings’ and scroll down where you can find FrontFlash.
- Tap on that for customizing options like choosing from different colors like White, Warm, Cool, and Custom.
- You can also enable or disable Retina Flash in Photo or Video mode.
Jailbreaking your iPhone voids your warranty and in case if you are stuck in the middle of the process of enabling Retina Flash on your device, comment down below( or tweet us at @Phoneradarblog). We will be pleased to help you.