The latest PhoneRadar weekly wrap up is here with all the latest happenings around the smartphones. While a few smartphone launches happened in the last seven days, we will be seeing quite a few new devices launching in the coming days. Also, check out the list of upcoming smartphones to know about the new smartphone launches that are scheduled for the next few weeks.
Let’s take a look at the news from last week:
- Nokia 9 is rumored to be the upcoming flagship smartphone from the iconic Nokia. HMD Global already launched the three Nokia branded Android smartphones – Nokia 3, Nokia 5, and Nokia 6. While there is no official confirmation about the Nokia 9, the device with the model number TA-1004 listed on several benchmarking website is expected to be the launched as Nokia 9. It runs on the latest Android 7.1.1 Nougat out of the box with the stock UI on top. While the screen size of the device is not known, it comes with a Quad HD (2560 x 1440 pixels) resolution display. Under the hood, the Nokia 9 will come powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor built on the 10nm FinFET process. A couple of weeks back, the Geekbench listing mentioned the device to sports 8GB of RAM. However, the recent Antutu listing confirmed it to feature 4GB of RAM and might come with 64GB and 128GB storage options. There will be 13MP dual rear cameras and another 13MP sensor on the front.
- The Samsung Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus devices are well received in all parts of the world. While the company is rumored to bring the refurbished Galaxy Note 7 as Galaxy Note 7R in few selected markets, the upcoming Galaxy Note 8 will be the companies next flagship device. It will be launched only after 2-3 months, and in the meantime, we are getting several leaks hinting the new features of the Galaxy Note 8. The Infinity Display introduced with the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus will be continued to the upcoming flagship device. It is said to come with a 6.3-inch display and will run on the latest Android 7.1.1 Nougat out of the box. As seen with the new Galaxy S8 devices, the Galaxy Note 8 will also be powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor in the US and the in-house Exynos 8895 processor in the other markets. While the company failed to offer the underglass fingerprint sensor with Galaxy S8, it will be debuting with the upcoming Galaxy Note 8. The device might also pack the dual camera setup on the rear. If the rumors are to be believed, the Galaxy C10 will be first Samsung smartphone to launch with dual cameras.
- Earlier this year, Motorola launched the Moto G5 and Moto G5 Plus with metal bodies in India. While the Moto G5 Plus was made exclusive to Flipkart, the later launched Moto G5 is exclusively sold through Amazon India. Last week, few reports suggested both these devices will be sold via offline stores and the outlets are already stocked up. However, the availability of Moto G5 devices across the country is still hard as they are only limited to few retailers. Last week, the company also launched the Moto C with 4G VoLTE support in the offline market. It is priced at Rs. 5,999 and comes in Peral White and Starry Black colors options. It comes with a 5-inch FWVGA (854 x 480 pixels) display and is powered by MediaTek MT6737M quad-core clocked at 1.1GHz. The device includes 1GB of RAM and 16GB of internal storage. In the camera department, there is a 5MP rear camera and a 2MP selfie camera. Both the camera features LED flash for capturing photos even in low light conditions.
- After several leaks and rumors, Lenovo-owned Motorola has officially unveiled the Moto Z2 Play smartphone. It is the successor to the last year’s Moto Z Play and is priced at $499 in the U.S. However, there nothing is mentioned about the launch of the Moto Z2 and Moto Z2 Force. Since the Moto Z devices come with Moto Mods support, there are no major changes made to the design of this new device. It sports a 5.5-inch Super AMOLED display with Full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels) resolution and has a Corning Gorilla Glass 3 on top. It includes 64-bit Snapdragon 626 octa-core processor clocked at 2.2GHz and will be available in 3GB and 4GB RAM variants with 32GB and 64GB storage options. Talking about the cameras, it has an improved 12MP rear camera with f/1.7 aperture and laser autofocus. For selfies, there is a 5MP front camera with f/2.2 aperture and dual tone LED flash. While the Moto Z Play is known for its long-lasting battery, the new Moto Z2 Play features a smaller 3,000mAh battery. The virtual home button on the front comes with an integrated fingerprint sensor.
- The Chinese smartphone maker, Nubia unveiled its 2017 flagship smartphone, Nubia Z17 last week in Beijing. Just like the earlier launched Nubia flagship devices, the new Nubia Z17 also sports two-sided bezel-less display and the resolution is only limited to Full HD. The Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 SoC on this device comes coupled with the newly announced Quick Charge 4+. It comes in three different storage variants – 6GB RAM + 64GB storage, 6GB RAM + 128GB storage, and 8GB RAM + 128GB storage. On the rear, the device sports a 23MP and 13MP cameras offering 2X optical zoom. It comes with f/1.8 aperture, PDAF, and LED flash support. On the front is a 16MP selfie shooter with the wide-angle lens. It runs on Android 7.1.1 Nougat based Nubia 5.0 UI. It is backed by a 3,200mAh non-removable battery that can be charged from 0% to 50% in just 20 minutes. Connectivity options include 4g VoLTE, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.1, GPS, NFC, and a USB Type-C port. It measures 152.6 x 72.4 x 7.6 mm and weighs 173 grams.
- Yu Televentures, the sister brand of Micromax launched a new budget smartphone called Yu Yureka Black. It comes with a price tag of Rs. 8,999 and is exclusively sold via Flipkart. At this price, the device will be competing with the popular Xiaomi Redmi 4. It comes with a metal body and will be available in Chrome Black and Matte Black color options. Talking about the specifications, the Yu Yureka Black comes with a 5-inch Full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels) display along with a Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection on top. Under the hood is the Snapdragon 430 octa-core processor clocked at 1.4GHz. It packs 4GB of RAM and 32GB of expandable storage. There is a 13MP rear camera with LED flash and an 8MP front camera for selfies and video calls. Just the Redmi 4, the Yureka Black also runs on Android 6.0 Marshmallow. The physical home button on the comes with an integrated fingerprint sensor.
- In the next few days, OnePlus will be launching the successor to the popular OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T. The key specifications of the OnePlus 5 are already revealed as the device was listed on benchmarking websites with the model number A5000. While the company is introducing the dual camera setup on the rear, it still sticks to the Full HD display. We might see the same 5.5-inch Optic AMOLED display as seen on the OnePlus 3 and 3T. It comes powered by Snapdragon 835 octa-core processor and coupled with Adreno 540 GPU. The device packs 6GB of RAM and offers 64GB and 128GB storage options. As rumors suggested, the OnePlus 5 features 16MP dual camera setup on the rear and another 16MP sensor on the front for selfies and video calls. It runs on Android 7.1.1 Nougat with the slightly tweaked Oxygen OS laid on top. Based on the Antutu listing, OnePlus 5 is said to have scored 176,000 points. Instead of the Qualcomm’s Quick Charge 4 or 4+, the OnePlus 5 will be featuring the in-house Dash Charging technology.