Xiaomi, a Chinese based Smartphone manufacturer is a well-known brand for all the Android lovers. Xiaomi packs its devices with high-specifications at affordable prices and eventually, it has now become one of the top smartphone manufacturers across the globe. Coming back to the actual story, Xiaomi has locked the bootloaders on the latest releases Xiaomi Redmi Note 3, Xiaomi Mi 4c and Xiaomi Mi Note Pro smartphones.
With the locked bootloader, users are unable to flash the device with custom ROM’s. Redmi Note 3 shipped with a locked bootloader and the other two devices Mi 4c and Mi Note Pro got the locked bootloader after a firmware update. The reason behind the locked bootloaders is that, Xiaomi wants to restrict the installation of any malware into the device by the third-party retailers before it reaches the end user.
So, now all the users of these devices need to follow specific procedure for unlocking the bootloader. As of now, the below guide will work for the MIUI China developer version (6.1.12 or later). The MIUI China stable version and Mi Note Pro users (those who updated to 6.1.12) will receive the update from the MIUI very soon.
Unlocking Bootloader Procedure for Redmi Note 3, Mi 4c and Mi Note Pro phones
Apply for unlocking bootloader
- At first, all the users need to visit the unlock page of the MIUI. If you see the Chinese language, then translate the page using browser options.
- Now, click on the Unlock button and you will be redirected to your Mi Account.
- Next, you will see an unlock application permissions page.
- Now, fill all the details accordingly and at last you need to fill the reason to unlock in Chinese language. (Use Google translate for reason).
- Now, check the ‘millet phone unlock agreement’ and click ‘Apply immediately’.
- You will now redirect to SMS verification code page and so enter the code which you receive on the phone.
- That’s all, now you will get confirmation message.
The application which you have sent now, will take about 3 to 21 days for approval. So, you need to wait for the confirmation message from the Xiaomi stating that your application for unlocking has been approved. Once the unlock application is approved, download Mi flash unlock tool on your PC and proceed for further procedure.
Unlocking bootloader procedure
- At first, download the zip file for your device from here (China developer ROM) and the Redmi Note 3 Qualcomm version users can unlock on MIUI Global Stable Rom from here.
- Place the downloaded zip file in your phone storage.
- Now, open the ‘Updater’ app in your device which can be found under Tools.
- Tap on the three dots which can be seen at the top-right corner.
- Now, select ‘Choose update package’ and choose the downloaded zip file. (Entire user data will be erased after updating and so users need to take the backup of data before proceeding further)
- Next, log in to your Mi account on the device which received unlocking permission.
- Now, you need to get the phone into bootloader mode and for that turn off your phone and press power and volume down button at the same time.
- Open the unlocking tool on your PC and log in using the same Mi account.
- Connect your device to the PC using USB cable and press ‘Unlock’.
That’s all; now unlocking process will be completed in few seconds and you can now flash the custom ROMs and fastboot ROMs on your devices. All the users other than Redmi Note 3, Mi 4c and Mi Note Pro will receive updates from the MIUI in the future.
In case if you have any trouble in the process, write us down in the comments section below, and we try to resolve the same for you.