Reliance Jio 4G services are up and running now as the company has launched them officially. The company is currently running the Jio Welcome offer where users will be getting unlimited data until 31st December. Well, all that is fine, but there’s more to it. First and foremost thing to note here is the fact Reliance Jio is 4G only. What does that mean? If you own a smartphone which doesn’t support 4G networks, then you won’t be able to use Jio 4G services on your device.
Now in order to use the Reliance Jio 4G services, there are a few things which you can do. One thing to do here is, you can get yourself a 4G VoLTE enabled smartphone. There are a bunch of them which will not burn a hole in your pocket while trying to enjoy the free data here. You can check out our Best 4G / VoLTE Android Smartphones under Rs. 5,000 – 2016 List to pick the best one for you. Now if in case you are not willing to invest on a new smartphone for some reason, then you might be one of many who is trying to scout the internet to find a workaround.
The good news is there is a workaround to use Jio 4G SIM in your 3G smartphone. But there is a catch. The catch is the method might be a little complicated and may or may not work for many. But if you are willing to put in the effort for the same and give it a shot, then you are in the right place. I will explain the procedure in a step-by-step format for you to understand and implement it easily. Here are the two possible methods to use Reliance Jio 4G SIM in 3G smartphones.
Before proceeding, you to make to know if the device you are using is powered by a MediaTek processor or a Snapdragon processor. Depending on that, you to follow either Method 1 or Method 2. If you don’t which SoC you are running, then don’t worry. Follow this procedure to find out about the same.
How to Find your Chipset Type in any Android Phone:
- Download the CPU-Z Android App.
- Once downloaded and installed successfully, tap the app icon to open it. You will see that the app will give all information about your device including Model of your chipset/SoC.
Now that you know which SoC your device is being powered by, you can follow the appropriate method to achieve the desired result.
Method 1 – How to Use Reliance Jio SIM in 3G Phones (MediaTek Devices only)
- The First thing to do here is download and install the MTK Engineering Mode on your device.
- Once done, open the application and select MTK settings -> select Network Selecting/Preferred Network option.
- Now Select 4G LTE/WCDMA/GSM or LTE/GSM/CDMA auto (PRL) option as the preferred network mode.
- Once this is done, save the settings before exiting and then restart your smartphone.
- Now that your device has been restarted, you will be able to use Jio 4G SIM.
Method 2 – How to Use Reliance Jio 4G Sim in 3G device (Snapdragon Devices only)
- For snapdragon devices, download and install Shortcut Master Lite App on your device.
- Once done, open the application and access the app menu. You can do this by tapping the three dots on the top right side of the screen.
- From the menu, select the Engineering mode/service menu.
- Select “System App” to open it and access it to change LTE bands. If the System App option is not available then search for Engineering Mode.
- Once you have found the Engineering mode, open it and change the LTE Bands.
- Now dial *#2263# from dialer app. After that Select Menu and click the select menu within that again.
- Go To the Key Input And Enter 0000. Now you might have to wait for some time until you are greeted with a pop-up.
- Choose UE Settings and then navigate to Settings -> Protocol -> NAS -> Network Control -> Band Selection –> LTE Band –> Band 40.
- Once this is done, restart your phone and make sure that you have the Jio 4G SIM in SIM slot 1.
If you follow the above process, then you can use and enjoy the Jio 4G SIM on your snapdragon powered device. Do make a note, as mentioned earlier, these two methods mentioned above may or may not work for you. It has been tested before and works in most cases. Also, once this is done, you will be able to use the data only and voice calls will not be available. Also, if you want some other alternative, then you can also purchase a Wi-Fi dongle and use it as a hotspot to use the data. if you followed this procedure and have successfully managed to make it work, then do let us know in the comment section below and stay tuned for more how-to like this.
Note – This is for educational purpose only and it is your own responsibility if anything goes wrong during the process.