Congratulations on your New OnePlus Smartphone that was launched by the brand in China, India & the USA. We have got our hands-on this device & in this article, you will see a step-by-step procedure to root your OnePlus 3 smartphone and also unlock the bootloader. Before proceeding, create a back of your device if you don’t want to lose the files on the device as this method will completely wipe your device memory.
Prerequisites & Downloads:
The first thing you have to do is Go to settings and enable the developer options on your phone. You can perform this by tapping on the build number 8 times, following which once you go back to the settings main page, you will find the developer options. Next under the developer options page, Enable the OEM unlocking, advanced reboot and USB debugging by checking on those options. The next step would be downloading all the three set of files linked below onto your computer.
Step by Step Procedure:
- Once you have checked all the options from the long press the power button and select reboot and select the bootloader in reboot option so that the device will reboot into the bootloader mode. After this, connect the phone to your PC via USB type-C cable. Go to the location where you have downloaded all the files. Copy the TWRP recovery file and SuperSU zip file to your ADB folder.
- Press shift+right click and select open command window. Type “fastboot devices” (without quotes) in the window which popped up. It will show your device, which means your device is successfully connected there.
- Now to unlock the bootloader of the device, type “fastboot oem unlock” (without quotes). Once you type this, you will see an option on your phone asking “unlock the bootloader?”. Use the volume navigation keys and select the appropriate option and press the power button.
- With this, your device’s bootloader will get unlocked. From here before you set up your device, you need to boot into the fastboot mode again. You can remove the USB type-c cable at this point. Once your phone is switched off, press volume up button and power button at the same time, so that the device will once again go into the fastboot mode.
- Now you need to flash the TWRP recovery but before that, again connect your USB Type-C cable and check if your device is connected by typing the same command, i.e., “fastboot devices”. Once the device is shown, you can go ahead and use this code “fastboot flash recovery recovery.img”(without quotes). Wait for it to flash it.
- Now head back to your phone and press volume down button until you see recovery mode option and hit the power button so that the device will boot into the recovery mode which is TWRP recovery in this case.
- Now swipe to allow modifications and back up your ROM using the backup option here. If at all anything goes wrong in the future, you can just restore this ROM, and you will be good as new again.
- Now again attach USB type-C cable to your phone and copy this SuperSU file from your desktop to phone’s internal storage. Once is file is copied, go to install and scroll down and select the SupersSU zip file and swipe to flash it. Once done, reboot the device and set up your device.
Now to check if your device is rooted successfully, download an app called root checker and you allow SupersSU access, and you will see that your device has been successfully rooted. You can alternatively download this app from the link mentioned below.
[appbox googleplay com.joeykrim.rootcheck]
You now have access to your bootloader and you can install Xposed Modules etc, and you can also access the root directory files and tweak internal settings. This completes the procedure to root your OnePlus 3 Smartphone, following which you can also fix the RAM Management Issues that we had reported earlier.