Asus, the Taiwanese brand has released a major software update to its Zenfone Zoom handset, which fixes a lot of camera issues the users has been facing. The brand launched this handset earlier this year in January at a whopping price of Rs 38K. The company has been marketing this handset as a DSLR replacement with innovative technologies being used on their phone. But unfortunately, it has been reported by users that there are some camera performance issues they have been facing on their handsets.
Though, there is good news for Zenfone Zoom users who have consistently been reporting these issues to the company. The brand has finally sorted out camera issues and has released a software update that fixes most of the issues. We have this handset and have got this update. Do make a note that this update is for model number ZX551ML, which is an Indian variant, unlike other variants that sport different model number. So, it should be easy to understand if your handset is an Indian unit or not by this model number.
The firmware version that should be receiving is WW_22.214.171.124; it is a 101.87MB OTA update. It brings a lot of improvements to the camera functions. The main highlight of the camera upgrade includes improvements to Auto White Balance, Auto Focus Speed, Image Quality and fixing of NR Zoom parameter failure. The company has shared a whole change-log of the software upgrade on their forum page. You also get support for Auto Exposure shutter speed value in manual mode.
The full change-log for Zenfone Zoom OTA update for firmware version 126.96.36.199 is listed below.
- [Charger] Fixed incorrect charging status after cable out.
- [Camera] Fixed the bug resolved from the previous power-on via shutter key.
- [Audio] Increase headset detect de-bounce time to improve music auto play when to plug out headset slowly.
- [Modem]Patch for MO MT call failure in some areas in GuanZhou
- [Modem]Improved SIM drop issue.
- [Camera] Support more Auto Exposure shutter speed value in Manual Mode.
- [Camera] Improved Auto Exposure accuracy in Auto Mode.
- [Camera] Improved digital zoom image quality.
- [Camera] ImprovedAuto white balance under artificial light source.
- [Modem]Improve modem stability
- [Modem]Improved modem service stability
- [Modem]Improved modem data service stability
- [Modem]Improved capability of returning to LTE service
- [eMMC]Enable eMMC ver5.1
- [Codec]Disable ALAC
- [Camera]Fixed occasional camera APP drop
- [SD Card]Add the new Project ID of HW_ID_MP_SD
- [SDCARD]Fixed drop SD card issue and remove the redundant power
- [Camera] Improved of Auto White Balance
- [Camera] Improved Auto Focus Speed
- [Camera] Optimized image quality
- [Camera] Fixed the NR zoom parameter failure.
- Several Apps updated
- Modified several JP version strings
- ZenUI support Burmese language (Zawgyi font)
- Add Dr. Booster. It is a Smart and free game speed booster for faster performance on ASUS mobile devices. E-label update (add ID SKD)
- Improvement of Auto Exposure accuracy.
- Improvement of digital zoom image is quality.
- Improvement of Auto Focus Speed
For those who have already updated to this firmware, you should be getting one more successive update with firmware version WW_188.8.131.52, which is a small 64MB update that fixes any bugs left out and offers some performance improvements as well. If you haven’t gotten any of these software updates, we recommend you manually do it. Just head over to the Settings app and then About page. There you would find a system update option; tapping on it would open a new window. Now tap on Check Updates, as soon as you do that the message for the update should show up in a new window.