If you have missed the tech happenings for the last one week, here is out latest weekly wrap-up that gives you a glimpse of the major news and the new launches happened in the last seven days. We have also seen quite a few smartphone launches like the Samsung Galaxy C7 Pro, Moto G5, and Sony Xperia XZs smartphones Also, check out the list of upcoming smartphones to know about the new smartphone launches that are scheduled for the next few weeks.
- As per the reports, Apple will be launching three new iPhones in the second half of this year. Apart from the iPhone 7S and iPhone 7S Plus, the company will be launching the limited edition iPhone on the eve of 10th anniversary of the iPhone. This limited edition device is said to be called as iPhone 8. It will also be the first iPhone to feature OLED display and might skip using the home button. The fingerprint sensor will be placed under the display panel, and the overall screen-to-body ratio will be on par with the recently launched LG G6 and Samsung Galaxy S8 smartphones. Now, the latest reports suggest Apple has ordered 70 million OLED panel from Samsung for 2017. However, Samsung is preparing for 95 million units expecting the demand to exceed the current numbers.
- The Indian electronics brand, Smartron has appointed Amit Boni as Vice President, Sales and Marketing. Before joining Smartron, he is the executive at the Motorola India. If you have seen the live stream of Moto G5 Plus launch happened last month in New Delhi, Amit Boni is one who has been on stage to unveil the device. The tPhone and tBook are the two major products launched by the company in 2016, and we are yet to see new devices in 2017. The ex-Indian cricketer, Sachin Tendulkar is also one of the investors of Smartron.
- The Nokia 9 smartphone is the device to come out from rumor mills. At the MWC 2017, HMD Global announced the Nokia 3, Nokia 5, and Nokia 6 smartphones. The leaks suggest the Nokia 9 to feature flagship specifications coupled which we also hope to see on the actual device. Based on the report, the Nokia 9 runs on Android 7.1.2 Nougat out of the box. It sports a 5.5-inch OLED display with Quad HD (2560 x 1440 pixels) display and packs the most powerful mobile chipset in the market, Snapdragon 835 SoC. The device also includes 6GB of RAM and is said to come in 64GB and 128GB storage variants. In the camera department, there will be a 22MP dual-lens camera on the rear with Carl Zeiss optics and a 12MP selfie camera on the front. It also packs 3,800mAh battery with Quick Charge 4.0 fast charging support. We might also see the OZO Audio which was developed for the super expensive 360-degree camera.
- Vivo V5 Plus IPL T20 limited edition smartphone was unveiled by the company on April 4th in Hyderabad. The device comes in the all-new Matte Black color and sports an 18-carat Golden IPL logo on the rear. The regular version is launched at Rs. 27,980, and new IPL Edition V5 Plus is priced at Rs. 25,990 and is sold online exclusively through Flipkart. Apart from the change in color, there are no other changes made to the device. It comes with 20MP + 8MP dual front camera along with a 16MP rear camera. The device sports a 5.5-inch Full HD Display and packs Snapdragon 625 SoC, 4GB of RAM and 64GB of internal storage.
- Though Windows Phone has failed in this competitive smartphone market, Windows for PC is single handily the most popular operating system in the world. However, the latest report from StatCounter confirmed Android to overtake Windows as the most popular OS in the world. Android has a market share of 37.93% which is marginally higher than the 37.91 market share of Windows. This report is based on the desktops, laptops, tablets, and mobiles that are connected to the internet. Microsoft has held the top position of the global operating system list for the past 37 years.
- Xiaomi has officially confirmed to launch its upcoming flagship smartphone, Xiaomi Mi 6 by the end of this month. Last week, the Xiaomi Mi 6 also with the Mi Max 2 are spotted on the GFXbench. The Mi 6 continues to use to 5.1-inch Full HD display as seen on its predecessor. It is powered by Snapdragon 835 SoC and includes a 12MP rear camera and an 8MP front camera. There will also be a Mi 6 Plus with bigger and better display. On the other hand, the Mi Max 2 comes with almost same specification as on 2016 launched Mi Max. However, the upcoming phablet is expected to feature Snapdragon 626/660 SoC.
- The famous and reliable leakster, Evan Blass tweeted the logo of the upcoming Moto Z2 smartphone, the successor to the Moto Z. The Moto Z with modular features was introduced by Lenovo in 2016. As the Moto Mods needs to fit the upcoming and the old gen smartphones, we expect the Moto Z2 to come in the same form factor as the Moto Z and Moto Z Play. Recently, the company confirmed to launch 12 new Moto Mods per year. Last month, a new Moto device was showcased while demonstrating the Sprint’s Gigabit LTE network. If that device is the upcoming Moto Z2, then it comes with the Snapdragon 835 SoC, the first smartphone chipset to support Gigabit LTE.
- Based on the recent report from Strategy Analytics, Xiaomi is the most preferred smartphone brand in the country beating Samsung and Apple. While Xiaomi stands at the No.1 position with 26% share, Samsung and Apple followed the Chinese brand with 12% share for each. Micromax stands at the last position in this list with just 2% share. The company achieved this feat in just three years after entering the Indian smartphone market. Compared to other brands, Xiaomi has been growing very fast in India; it has seen a grown of 125% YoY and 17% QoQ. India is key for Xiaomi’s growth as its home market has reached the saturation point.
- The second half of 2016 was the LeEco’s worst period as it was badly hit by the cash crunch. Now, the company is teasing the launch of a new smartphone in China. The rumors suggest this device to be the LeMax 3, and it will also be company’s major launch event in the recent times. Looking at the teaser images, we expect LeEco to come up with its own Digital Assitant with the launch of LeMax 3. The new device will also feature dual camera setup which became normal with the flagship Chinese smartphones. More information regarding this new device and the company’s future plans can be known the launch date, i.e.; April 11th.
For more information related to any single topic, you can take the help of our search box.