The all-new weekly wrap covering all the major news from last week is here. If you have missed out the daily dose of tech news in the last week, then scroll down to get the glimpse of the major news happened in the last seven days. Last week, a few Chinese companies launched their latest smartphones in the Indian market including the Gionee A1, OPPO F3 Plus, and Xiaomi Redmi 4A. This week, we will see the launch of Galaxy S8 & S8 Plus smartphones from Samsung, but the earlier leaks already revealed most of the details.
- At the Huawei P10 and P10 Plus launch event in China, Huawei said to have sold more than 12 million units of Huawei P9 and P9 Plus smartphones. In December last year, the company released the sale figures of their flagship devices as 10 million, and in these three months, the company has sold another 2 million more devices. Both the P9 and P9 Plus are first devices dual cameras smartphones to come with Leica lens. Even the new P10 and Plus smartphones come with Leica lens, but the sensors are now upgraded from 12MP + 12MP sensors to 20MP + 12MP sensors.
- The Beijing Intellectual Property Court canceled the Shenzhen Baili Marketing Service’s design infringement case on Apple over the design of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus smartphones. While there is no ban on iPhone, the design patent based on 100C model are still with the Shenzhen Baili Marketing Services. Now, Apple seems to move to the higher court for the cancellation of the patent on the 100C model. However, both Apple and its local retailer Zoomflight can resume sales of 2014 launched iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.
- Movado, the maker of the luxury watches, has unveiled its first ever smartwatch, Movado Connect powered by Android Wear 2.0. It comes pre-installed with the voice-based digital assistant named Google Assistant and also includes Google Fit and Google Health apps. It is expected to launch on November 15th which and when the official pricing and other specifications will be known. The renders reveal the edge-to-edge circular display with always-on screen feature. It also supports NFC and can be used for Android Pay mobile payment services.
- The Xiaomi Mi 6 and Mi 6 Plus are rumored to launch on April 11th in China. As seen on its predecessor, the Mi 6 will come with glass back body variant and also a special edition ceramic variant. The high-end variant of the Mi 6 will sport dual-lens camera setup on the rear. It comes powered by the Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 835 SoC, the most powerful mobile processor available in the market. This processor is built on the 10nm FinFET process and also supports Quick Charge 4.0 fast charging technology. It comes in 4GB/6GB of RAM and will be available in 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB storage variants.
- Nextbit as an independent company launched its first and also its last smartphone, Robin in early 2016. The company also released the beta build of Android 7.0 Nougat in November and now in March 2017, it started rolling out the stable version. The OTA update also comes with the Google’s security patch updates for the month of January. While the company is acquired by Razer, at the time of accusation announcement, the company also promised to provide software updates for the Nextbit Robin till 2018. The Robin was launched in India for Rs. 19,999; but the sales of the device are now halted.
- At the MWC 2017, Nokia under HMD Global re-entered the smartphone market. The Nokia 3, Nokia 5, and Nokia 6 are the Android-powered smartphones. There is also a feature phone called Nokia 3310 which is an upgraded variant to 20 years old Nokia 3310. The Nokia 6 is already launched in China even before the global launch. While the company announced all these devices to be available in Q2 2017, now the latest reports suggest the devices to launch simultaneously in all the 120 countries.
- Moto G5 Plus was launched in 3GB and 4GB RAM variants priced at Rs. 13,999 and Rs. 15,999 respectively. In the coming days, we might also see the Moto G5 launch in the Indian market. The Moto G5 Plus with metal body comes in Lunar Gray and Fine Gold color options, but recently the device was leaked in all new Blue Sapphire color that looks stunning. Since the Moto G5 also comes in Blue color option, we expect the upcoming Moto G5 to come in new Blue color.
- Apple launched the new iPad with 9.7-inch Retina display along with the new iPhone variants. The Apple iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus now comes in Product RED color, whereas the iPhone SE comes in 32GB and 128GB storage variants. Thew 9.7″ iPad will be replacing the iPad Air 2, and we might not see new launches in the iPad Air series. All these new products will be launching in India in April. The iPhone SE with 32GB storage is priced at Rs. 27,200, whereas the Product RED iPhone 7 pricing starts fromRs. 82,000.
- After launching the 250 units of OnePlus 3T colette edition in Paris OnePlus announced the same device as limited edition OnePlus 3 Midnight Black for the mass market. Though it is a limited edition, the number of units will be more than 250. It will be coming in 6GB RAM + 128GB storage variant and costs Rs. 34,999. The device is currently available to pre-order, and the sales start from March 31st. It will be sold through Amazon India and OnePlus India’s online and offline store.
- Nubia launched three new smartphones – Nubia M2, Nubia M2 Lite, and Nubia N2 last week in China. Out of the three, the Nubia M2 is the company’s first smartphone to sport dual camera setup. All the three devices come with unibody metal design and sports mid-range specifications. The devices run on the customized Nubia UI 4.0 based on Android OS. The Nubia N2 is the successor to the already popular Nubia N1, and the company continues to offer a mammoth 5,000mAh battery on the N-series smartphones. As of now, there is no information about the availability of these devices in the foreign markets.
- From the last few weeks, we have seen rumors about the affordable new Bharath series from Micromax devices. The Bharath One and Bharath Two will be first set of devices to launch under this new series. However, the company sent out the media invite for the launch a new smartphone on March 29th. We expect Micromax to launch the dual camera smartphone which we reported last month. It sports a 13MP + 5MP dual cameras on the rear and a 5MP selfie camera on the front. The device comes with a 5.5-inch Full HD display and comes powered by MediaTek MT6750T octa-core SoC.
- As leaks suggested, Samsung announced its new voice-based personal assistant called Bixby in South Korea. It will be debuting with the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus smartphone on March 29th in London. Bixby will be in direct competition with the Google Assistant, Microsoft Cortana, Apple’s Siri, and Amazon Alexa. According to the company, Bixby will differ from other digital assistants as it can control all the tasks in installed apps. We expect it to work with only the in-house apps and partnered 3rd party apps.
For more information related to any single topic, you can take the help of our search box.