How to use Portrait Mode in iPhone 7 Plus & Take Bokeh Shots
Apple launched the new iPhones a couple of months back, and they are now available in most part of the world. Similar to what we have been seeing for the past couple of years, this year also we have two new iPhones i.e. one is a smaller one, and the other variant is the bigger one. iPhone 7 Plus is not just the bigger version, but it also has some couple of new interesting features. The most noticeable one being the Dual-rear camera. Well, if you think this is just like any other regular implementation, then you might be wrong.
The dual rear cameras on the new iPhone 7 Plus comes with a unique setup where there is a regular sensor, and the other one is a telephoto lens. At the time of the launch, the company announced that there would be new portrait mode for it using which users will be able to take high quality images with a nice bokeh effect. The images taken using the portrait mode looks absolutely stunning, at least that’s what i can say when i saw the samples shown by the company at the launch event.
iOS 10.1 beta update brings better RAM Management and Portrait Mode for the iPhone 7 Plus
And now after all these months, the company has finally pushed the Portrait mode as promised with the new iOS 10.1 updates. This is the latest firmware running on the said device, and it will give you all the new features that you will need to shoot these beautiful portrait images from your iPhone 7 Plus. Well, if you are one of those who are using an iPhone 7 Plus and wants to try out the new portrait mode, then all you need to do is update your smartphone. But there’s more to it.
It is not simple as pointing at your subject and taking a snap. And if you are not able to crack it and take good looking portrait images, then you are at the right place. You can follow the steps given below and take some stunning images using the portrait mode –
- The first step is to update your iPhone 7 Plus to the latest iOS 10.1 version. In order to do this, go to Settings and then tap General and then go to Software Update to check for the update.
- Once done, now all you have to do is launch the camera app and look for the Portrait Mode that is available.
- If you are already familiar with the iOS camera app, then you already know that you need to swipe on the viewfinder menu to browse through the different modes available.
- Once you are in the portrait mode, you need to understand that this new feature uses the telephoto lens and hence the focus object which you are targeting might appear closer than it actually is.
- Now slowly keep moving the camera away from the focus object until you hit the sweet spot. Well, you can’t figure it out then don’t worry it will also be indicated by the app. It will say “Depth Effect” which means that the new feature is now working and doing its thing.
- Do make a note that what you see in the viewfinder will be final result and hence you can do all the maneuvers and then once captured, you can enjoy the stunning image which you just captured.
- However, do make a note that you will be required to hold the phone slightly more stable than you usually would while taking regular images.
Few Pro tips to keep in mind while taking these images –
- Keep moving the camera while taking the shots to suit the amount of blur produced in the images.
- Also, keep in mind that more close you get to the subject, more dramatic the blur effect will be.
- Making sure that the subject is well lit and the background is not overexposed at the same time.
And that’s all. This may sound like a lot of work to do, but it is easy to get a hold on and once you start taking a couple of images. With that being said, let us know if you were able to take any good images with it or not. Stay tuned for more tutorials like this.