The Mountain View giant seems to quietly roll out an update to their Maps application for Android. This new update brings the much-demanded new feature – “Ok Google” commands. For frequent users of the app, it is quite a big deal as they no longer have to tap on the microphone icon before commanding during navigation.
Do make a note that this update might take time for you to reach as it is still being rolled out. Once you have updated the application to the latest, you will be able to say Hotword “Ok Google” followed by a voice command to start navigation to a new destination, find an alternative route as well as change driving settings.
With this update, Google has made it’s Maps Android application more convenient than ever. As searching has been made easy. You don’t have to tap anymore on a small icon while driving; you just say the hotword, followed by the suitable commands. This way the driver can keep his focus on the road rather than on the phone.
Below is a cheat sheet of commands that you can use on Google Maps after saying the Hotword. These commands will work when you’re in Navigation mode.
- “Mute.” or “Mute voice guidance.”
- “Unmute.” or “Unmute voice guidance.”
- “Show traffic.” or “Hide traffic.”
- “Show satellite.” or “Hide satellite.”
- “Navigate home.” or “Navigate to Starbucks.”
- “Show route overview.” or “Show alternate routes.”
- “What road is this?”
- “What’s my next turn?”
- “What’s my ETA?”
- “How’s traffic ahead?” or “How’s traffic to home?”
- “Avoid tolls.” or “Enable tolls.”
- “Avoid highways.” or “Enable highways.”
- “Avoid ferries.” or “Enable ferries.”
- “Exit navigation.”
More Commands you can say
- “Call Mom.”
- “Find gas stations.” or “Find restaurants.”
- “Send a text to Larry.” or “Send an SMS to Sergey, I’m feeling lucky.”
- “What’s the weather like?” or “How’s the weather in Seattle?”
- “Play some jazz.” or “Play happy birthday on Google Play Music.”
- “What’s the closest hotel?”
- “When’s my next meeting?”
Do make a note that you have to select the US and speak English to use voice search and commands on Google Maps. Also, ensure that you are on Android device and signed in to the same account on the Google Maps app and the Google app.
Even after being on latest Google Maps update you might not be able to use these commands as by default the Hotword feature is switch OFF. Although, it isn’t the case with everyone, for some it’s enabled by default.