Xiaomi announced the new MIUI 8 for it’s smartphones in India last month with the launch of its Mi Max smartphone here in New Delhi. At th time of launch, the company stated that the update will be available for eligible smartphones in the month of August. But the company also promised to roll out the Global developer previews and betas for the software and as promised, they rolled out the Global developer ROM of the new MIUI 8 for a selected range of Mi smartphones.
On the same lines, Xiaomi just launched the MIUI 8 developer ROM for the Redmi Note 3. Surprisingly, the ROM is still based on Android 5.1 Lollipop. The Marshmallow variant is also available, but it is extremely unstable and full of bugs. So it is advisable not to try that one. This build based on the 5.1 Lollipop is stable and can be used without any issues, however it is not recommended for daily usage just yet. So in case if you are interested to try this developer ROM of MIUI 8 on your Redmi Note 3, then follow the steps given below carefully.
- Create a backup of your data as this process might wipe your smartphone completely.
- You can also use some APK Extractor to save all your apps, so that you don’t have to download them again.
- Now, download the MIUI 8 developer ROM from the official website.
- Copy the downloaded file to your phone or on to your SD card.
- Open the updater app on the phone.
- Select the option that says “Choose Updater Package”.
- Now Navigate to the folder where the ROM is located and select “OK”.
- It will prompt you to backup your data and then tap on “Erase and Update button”.
- Now your smartphone will reboot and your update will be installed.
Note that this installation does not require unlocking your bootloader etc. since it is signed by Xiaomi and is officially available on their website. Also this method is only applicatble for Redmi Note 3 and might not work with other devices. Let us know if this worked for you and stay tuned for more tutorials like this.