Battery operated Headphones explode mid-flight burning a woman’s face

by Karthik Iyer 3

Now that the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 fiasco has ended, the smartphone explosion news is finally disappearing in the wild. However, this doesn’t necessarily mean that we are completely out of danger now since we are getting more and more explosion news where devices other than smartphones are involved. According to the new report which we have, a battery operated headphones exploded mid-flight from China to Australia. Well, it looks like we need to be careful with everything that has a battery inside it.

The Sydney-bound airplane was packed with passengers and one of the women was listening to music using a pair of her own battery-operated (wireless) headphones. Just about two hours into the flight, a loud explosion noise was heard and it was found that the headphones which the women was using, exploded out of nowhere. The explosion caused burns to her face and as she was trying to grab the face and feel it, the headphones went around the neck which burnt the area around her neck too.

Another iPhone Explosion Captured in Video, Apple Starts Investigating

As soon as she threw the headphones off on the floor, the flight attendants poured a bucket of water to out of the sparks and small amounts of fire. The battery and cover were both melted and got stuck to the floor of the aircraft. Other passengers reported about the smell of melted plastic, burnt electronics and burnt hair. The Australian Transport Safety Bureau have reported that the batteries in the device likely caught on fire, which caused the explosion.

The headphones were dumped inside a bucket full of water and was kept at the rear end of the plane. The Australian Transport Safety Bureau has not yet released the brand of the headphones but they did gave out some safety precautions to prevent this from happening. All the passengers bringing electronic devices with them should carry the spare batteries onboard in the hand baggage and not in the checked in baggage. They also mentioned that batteries should be properly stowed unless in use.

With that said, what do you think about this incident? Do you think using battery operated devices are becoming more dangerous by the day? Be sure to leave a comment down below and also stay tuned to PhoneRadar for info like this.

Karthik Iyer

Karthik is a Computer Science Graduate and a Tech Aficionado who has always found himself fascinated or playing around with all the latest and the best from the world of smartphones and beyond. When he is not working on any smartphone or covering the latest scoop, you can often find playing his favorite PS4 titles.

  • Vishal Giri

    this is occurring a lot now!!

  • Meem Islam

    Black side of technology

  • Let’s wait for more info, looks like we have to insure all battery operated devices..